MDC murder ruling delayed
Three Movement for Democratic Change members facing murder charges will
learn of their fate next month.
by ZLHR Legal Monitor
Givemore Hodzi and two Banket councillors Emmanuel Chinanzvavana and Fani
Tembo, who were themselves victims of abduction and torture by State
security agents in 2008, have been on remand for almost two years after they
were accused of murdering Lancelot Zvirongwe. Zvirongwe was a Zanu (PF)
special interests councillor in Banket.
They deny the charges. Magistrate Gwitima was supposed to rule on the
application for refusal of further remand last week but failed to do so
because he was unavailable “due to an emergency”.
He is now expected to rule on the application on December 5, according to
Tawanda Zhuwarara of Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights.
The State alleges that the councillors and Hodzi kidnapped Zvirongwe between
Banket and Chinhoyi and dragged him to an area in Banket where they killed
him with an unknown weapon and dumped his body into Kingston Dam two years
Prosecutors claim that the deceased sent mobile text messages to Zimbabwe
Broadcasting Corporation radio presenter Richmond Siyakurima, Assistant
Inspector Chidakwa and to an unnamed District Administrator fingering the
MDC officials for kidnapping him.
Chinanzvavana and Tembo said they were attending a Save the Children
activity at Kuwadzana Hall in Banket at the time that the deceased was
allegedly abducted while Hodzi said he was not in Banket.
They argue that their names are only mentioned in text messages, which are
vague and contradictory in tense, meaning and sense.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.