Bail application for MDC members postponed again
By Tichaona Sibanda
The High Court has once again postponed its ruling on a bail application
lodged by lawyers representing 26 MDC-T members accused of murdering police
inspector Petros Mutedza.
This is the second day in a row that the state has postponed the
application. The hearing has now been pushed to Thursday.
The bail hearing failed to take off Wednesday after state prosecutor Edmore
Nyazamba didn’t to turn up, as he was reportedly attending another bail
hearing for the MDC Youth Assembly chairperson, Solomon Madzore at the
The group was taken back into custody last week Thursday after being
indicted for the trial starting next Monday. The MDC-T denies its activists
were involved in the murder of Mutedza saying the cop was fatally assaulted
by ordinary patrons at a Glen View bar who were discussing football.
Senator Obert Gutu, party spokesman for Harare province and deputy Minister
of Justice, said it was the usual delaying tactics by the system to keep the
activists in custody.
‘It is malicious to keep them locked inside. There is a nine out of ten
chance that there will be readmitted for bail, so they want to keep them in
custody just to fix them. This is not like a new case, officers in the
Attorney-General’s office are too familiar with so it shouldn’t take long to
come up with a decision,’ Gutu said.
Back in police cells is national executive member Last Maengahama and his
two brothers, Stanford and Lazarus.
The group also includes Rebecca Mafikeni, Phenias Nhatarikwa, Yvonne
Musarurwa, Stanford Mangwiro and Glen View Ward 32 councellor, Tungamirai
Madzokere. The activists spent 9 months in custody and had only been granted
bail two weeks ago. Analysts point out that Zimbabwe’s laws are being used
to harass anyone perceived as being opposed to Mugabe and ZANU PF.
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.